Product Engineer - Biosafety Products
Location: Kansas City, MO
Labconco is and will remain a mid-sized, privately-held company dedicated to building superior laboratory equipment. For more than 95 years, we have lead the industry by focusing on our quality, customers, and people. We take genuine pride in ensuring we are providing the best equipment and service we can.
Responsible for the development of new or updated products in the Biosafety Products line, plus the maintenance to keep existing products functionally current, competitive, cost effective and safe.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain an awareness of product development within field. Continually evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of competitor's products, government regulations, and make recommendations for changes in Labconco products.
- Apply diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments.
- Make decisions independently on engineering problems and methods and support the organization technically. Partner with and advise outside experts, Engineers and Model Makers.
- Assist Marketing/Sales by corresponding with customers with regard to products and their applications. Assists Product Service with field service problems and applications.
- Monitor Product Performance Report (PPR) for assigned products, participate in Quality Assurance audits and initiate corrective action when warranted.
- Conduct technical performance audits to verify that products achieve the intended performance, as needed.
- Lead new product development projects and nurture existing products to keep them competitive.
- Develop a schedule for executing projects including the resources necessary to complete the tasks.
- Actively participate in focus groups and travel, as needed, to determine customer needs.
- Provide written product specifications, schedules and budgets on assigned projects and completes projects within agreed upon schedule and budget. Use ISO Design File concepts and Design Reviews per QMS requirements.
- Design products to cost goals incorporating existing components and standardize hardware whenever possible.
- Ensure that assigned products are designed in a safe manner, in compliance with the criteria of pertinent approval agencies or other risk analysis.
- Involve Marketing, Manufacturing Engineering and Purchasing as partners during product development and provide them with timely information throughout the process.
- Test all new products and revisions to ensure reliability and compliance.
- Maintain complete and accurate records during the life of a product per ISO standards. Upon completion or cancellation of the project, sees that all pertinent notes, graphs, schedules, sketches, notebooks, etc., are consolidated and filed under the project name.
- Produce Engineering prototypes of proposed products to verify manufacture, function and safety.
- Provide Manufacturing complete and accurate data when the product is released and avoid "floor engineering". Carefully monitor the quality and efficiencies to ensure that the design goals can be achieved on the shop floor and that customers are satisfied with the product.
- Ensure a high quality manual is shipped with each product from day one that provides the user all pertinent information, and manual is compliant with Labconco manual branding guidelines.
- Provide internal training on new and existing products as required.
Attend industry association events/tradeshows and sit on applicable regulatory committees (for example NSF and CETA). Required travel is about 10%.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree from four year college or university; or five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.