LEED Green Associate, Product Manager
Whether exploring the wilds of our planet or plotting a calm, collected plan of action for the impending zombie outbreak, everybody knows that Brian Garrett has an answer for everything. That’s a trait that comes in particularly handy when you have questions about biological safety cabinets and the like.
“I’ve always been an ‘outdoorsy’ type,” Garrett explains. “Camping all over the country and hiking big parks like the Badlands, Rocky Mountain National Park, and countless Civil War battlefields, I have always felt at home with our untouched world.” Not to leave any stone unturned, he adds, “I enjoy supporting scientific research efforts at the ground level and brainstorming survival plans for the coming (zombie) apocalypse (just ask the CDC! )"
Brian found his time in university formative and fascinating. “During college my interests were in ecology and evolutionary theory. I was enamored with Stephen Jay Gould’s research and writings – focusing on evolutionary theory’s place in modern society.” Prospects of going into similar work out of college are low, however. So Brian landed a bench microbiology position, which gave him the opportunity to shift his focus from bench science to the science behind the lab itself.
Laboratory and Biological Safety is serious stuff, but you have to have a sense of humor about your work and “be able to laugh at yourself – especially in difficult circumstances,” Brian says. For instance, “I am routinely compared to Vikings or an extra from the movie Brave Heart by many of our international dealers,” he smirks. “I believe that the best defense is a good offense, I do my part by supporting the scientists in the various fields of research.”
Brian is a member of the American Biological Safety Association (ABSA) and Controlled Environmental Testing Association (CETA).
"Improving Your Lab: Fume Hoods & Biosafety Cabinets," PittCon, Chicago, IL, March 2014
- "Biosafety in the Laboratory: Equipment in Biosafety Levels," MERCK Expo, Lima, Peru, September 2010
- "Laboratory Containment Equipment: BSCs and Fume Hoods," Traenor Life Science Facility Design Symposium, Lawrence, Kansas, July 2011
- "Fundamentals of Good Laboratory Design," Pittcon 2012 Short Course, Orlando, Florida, March 2012
- "TechTrends LIVE Webinar - Biological Safety Cabinets for Cell Culture Labs," Lab Manager Magazine, April 2012
- Periodically presents Expert Webinars via LabManager.com (since 2010)
- "An Inexact Science: Biosafety Risk Assessment" in Pharmaceutical Online Newsletter
- "Maximizing User Safety Through Human Factors Design" in Bioresearch Online Newsletter
- "Survey Says: Comfort Improves Safety" in Pharmaceutical Online Newsletter
- "The Stigma Surrounding Tuberculosis" Laboratory Equipment Magazine
- "An Inexact Science: Biosafety Risk Assessment" in Bioresearch Online Newsletter
- "Heating and Cooling a Laboratory: Important Considerations" in Pharmaceutical Online
LEED Green Associate
Truman State University, Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences
Product CategoriesDuctless (Carbon-Filtered) Enclosures
Biological Safety Cabinets & Enclosures
Laboratory Animal Research Stations
You have been very helpful
Thank you! You have been very helpful. Thanks again!!! Have a great day!
Jaime C., San Antonio, TX
Timely & Polite
"He was able to answer my question in a timely manner and was very polite."
Angie B., Raleigh, NC
"All my questions have been answered!"
Barrett D., Medford, MA
Contact Brian Garrett
Toll free phone: 800-821-5525