Earth Day at Labconco
Celebrations for Earth Day spanned the world. Labconco has been implementing "green" initiatives in our products for years, but we weren't being quite as diligent in our day-to-day lives at the company.
We thought it was high time to "walk the walk" and chose to celebrate Earth Day by implementing some great initiatives to make it personal, but also as a group of employees who believed we could make a difference.
Here's a quick rundown of some of the things we are doing:
- Mixed stream recycling for all types of paper, aluminum, plastics (1-7), paperboard and cardboard.
- Each desk has its own mixed stream recycling bin for point-of-use recycling.
- Desk trash is being emptied twice a week since most of what used to end up in the trash now ends up in the recycling bin.
- Two of the lunch room trash cans have been converted into mixed stream recycling bins.
- A container for recycling safety glass is available so that safety glass, which was previously being thrown away, is now being recycled. In a year's time, we estimate that we will now be recycling 3,000-5,000 pounds of safety glass that is currently going to a landfill.
- Associates can bring glass recycling from home and place it in a bin that will be taken to the recycling location by our Green Committee.
- Plastic cutlery has been replaced with biodegradable cutlery. Plastic cutlery can take over 100 years to decompose in a landfill, whereas biodegradable cutlery takes only 2-3. This means that each year we will be saving 18,000 pieces of plastic cutlery from sitting in a landfill longer than we will be alive.
- Styrofoam plates and disposable cups are no longer provided to associates. Instead, we are using 100% pre-consumer recycled material plates, which are compostable. Associates are now asked to bring their own reusable cup and storage is provided in the lunch room for them.
- 'Please Recycle' stickers are available for associates' use at their desks to remind them to recycle, turn off lights and other devices not being used to save energy.
Labconco is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and is committed to furthering our sustainable building efforts through our manufacturing. Read more about Labconco's Green Initiatives, USGBC and the LEED rating system. Join Labconco in the effort to protect our environment. A little goes a long way.